Here is this week’s edition of Things and Stuff You Should Know About. It actually has no vampyres in it at all, except for the somewhat random illustration above, which is a quick sketch I drew over the weekend while catching up on the first two seasons of Dr. Who.
Scarlet Tentacle’s List of Things You Should Know This Week-ish of June, 2011
- Tuesday, June 7th, 2011: Cal-OSHA Subcommittee Meeting on Mandatory Condoms in the Adult IndustryTuesday, June 7th, 2011 at 10AM
CalTrans Building 100 S. Main Street Los Angeles, CA 90012Performer Danny Wylde speaks eloquently and succinctly about why it is important to show up to the meeting and why this issue matters to both adult producers and performers (and frankly, why it should matter to non-performers: everyone is affected on some level by underhanded attempts to eradicate/criminalize legal sex work).
Jiz Lee provides their thoughts from a queer porn perspective: Safer Sex in Queer Porn.
Nina Hartley writes about her feelings on condoms in porn in a post from 2009.
Michael Whiteacre’s OP/ED on Luke Is Back is also a great place to get some background on what is going on and why it matters.
This whole Cal-OSHA clusterfuck makes me inarticulately angry; I’m all for safer sex, but this… thing is seems so far removed from actual concern for adult performer’s health. There’s the continued portrayal of performers as idiots or scared sheep (ARGH Shelley Lubben, just because you made uninformed choices doesn’t mean you get to make choices for everyone else ever), the “it’s for your own good” tone of the organizations involved that completely disregard and devalue performer’s voices, as well as the attempt to dismantle a legal industry through regulations. I just… ARGH. Read up, speak up, especially if you’re in Southern California (does anyone know if there will there be a Northern California meeting? Because that’s another ARGH to add to the list if Cal-OSHA is only talking to folks in SoCal).
- Wednesday, June 8th, 2011: Rainbowskate at the Redwood Roller Rink!Rainbow Skate is happening this Wednesday, June 8th from 8pm to 10:30pm. There will be contingents of Reckless Rollers and SFgoL in attendance, so if you see anyone wearing BAD or SFgoL gear, say hi! Most of us won’t bite that hard.
- Saturday, June 11th, 2011: Bay Area Derby Girls Double Header: Rumble in the Park.Come and watch all four BAD Girl teams go head to head at Kezar pavilion in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park. Doors open at 4pm; the first bout starts at 6pm and the second bout starts at 8pm. The best kind of mayhem will ensue.You can find the event on Facebook or get tickets directly.
- Sunday, June 12th, 2011: Femina PotensSummer Seed Swap, Vegan BBQ and Eco Workshops!From FP: “Drop by for an afternoon of eco friendly workshop, learn about urban gardening, how to make your own compost, how to start a community garden in your neighborhood, swap seeds with participants, and enjoy a vegan BBQ grill out.”Get tickets or visit the Facebook event.
- Friday, June 17th, 2011: Ecosex Manifesto Exhibit!Elizabeth Stephens and Annie Sprinkle’s Ecosex Manifesto Art Exhibit Opening Night Gala is on June 17th. 7:00-9:30 PM. The gala is free and open to the public!
There are probably another million other things that are awesome and fantastic that I haven’t heard about, so if you have A Thing That is Bad-Ass, you should tell me. 00